This week, I deviated from my usual routine. I usually look up recipes first, then go shopping. Taiwan is interesting in that there are a lot of “day markets” that carry a wider, fresher variety of vegetables than at the big chain grocery stores. However, sometimes the big chains have specialty items that you can’t get at the day markets.
In short, my meal prep usually involves a trip to both places, and since I drive a scooter (not lots of cargo space), I have to make two trips!
In any case, a picked up a lot of Japanese eggplant, so I used that and built my lunch around it. For dinner, we had some cans of kidney beans lying around that I wanted to use, so I made veggie burgers. Check below for more details:
Almond butter tofu
- I used the sauce from this recipe and since I double the amount of tofu, I double everything else in the sauce except for the sugar, since I prefer savory over sweet anyway. Super delicious!
- Found the recipe here at the New York Times. You have to sign up, but there’s a huge collection of recipes there, so it’s worth it (and free!). I think it was a good twist on eggplant, and the glaze is sweet and has that “dry” taste from the sake. If you don’t really like Asian flavors, I wouldn’t recommend it. However, it contains miso is which is crazy delicious and good for you… so give it a go!
Chinese broccoli (Gai Lan) sauteed in olive oil and garlic
- I chose gai lan because it was available. Plus it’s a nice, sturdy dark green vegetable, so it could stand up to the strong flavors of the almond butter tofu and the miso glaze on the eggplant. If you can’t find it (and believe me, don’t try too hard), you could use any dark green veggie that you like, or even steamed broccoli.
Veggie burger (I made it using some ingredients I threw together myself)
- You can serve this with or without a bun, and make sure to include all the standard “fixins”!!!
Broccoli Salad with this dressing
- I cut back on the sugar and used home-made mayonnaise.
- I only made the salad with broccoli, and added a few craisins and walnuts for extra flavor.
All in all, it was a pretty good week of meals. What are you eating this week? I’d love to hear some ideas!